Monday, September 1, 2014

James Dashner talks with Wikia Books

James Dashner chats his writing process, TMR series, film adaptation, and more.





Check out the highlights below:


On being compared to other authors:
Usually it’s a high honor! The series is most often compared to Hunger Games and Divergent, which is a great group of authors to be a part of. All of our first books came out roughly around the same time, so we must all think alike.


What's your go-to writing music?
Oh, yes. I love listening to movie sound tracks. I think cinematically, so that kind of music really gets me in the creative mood. Some of my favorites are Lord of the Rings, Aliens, Braveheart, and The Matrix.


Who was the first TMR character you created?
Thomas. My ideas for the story developed much the way the book does for Thomas from page one. I imagined this boy in a box, with no memories, being thrust into an awful, scary situation. And then I went from there.


A character that had a larger impact on readers than you anticipated?
Minho. More than any of my other characters, he developed and became a bigger part of the story as I went through the books. I think part of that was seeing what a huge impact he had on fans. People always say that he (or Newt) is their favorite.


Would you rather die in the Maze or from the Flare in the Scorch?
Can I do both? Please? What a kick that’d be. I could make a Maze Runner game within the VirtNet (from my new series) and die over and over again. Doesn’t that sound great? Okay, if I HAD to choose, I guess I’d say death by Griever. At least that would be over quickly. I hope.


If you were placed into a dangerous trial, who would you choose as your leader?
Why, thank you! I’d choose Minho. I love that guy. He’s reckless, a smart aleck, a hothead. But he’s also fiercely loyal and tough. We saw him have a major moment of weakness in the first book, which also makes him feel real. I’d choose him.


Which of the cast have you grown the closest to?
I’d say it’s between Ki Hong Lee and Will Poulter. I feel a real connection to both of those guys, and they’ve been so incredibly gracious, constantly thanking me for creating this story. And Blake Cooper. What a guy. I feel like he’s my little brother. And Dylan. And Dexter. And Kaya. And Aml. And Chris. And Alex. I love them all!



Be sure to check out the rest of the interview here!

No comments:

Post a Comment