Saturday, September 13, 2014

Crimson and Gold talk with Kaya and Will

Crimson and Gold had the pleasure to talk with Kaya and Will all about TMR, young adult adaptations, and more.




Here are the highlights:


On what separates TMR from other YA adaptations:
KayaWe’ve thought about this a lot. It’s strange that teen action films get compared all the time and I think it’s because it’s a new genre, whereas with Batman and Superman, that doesn’t happen. But I’m proud to be a part of something like this because I certainly believe that these films are getting a new generation of people together, reading it, discussing it, saving up to buy that ticket to have that experience together. I think it’s really special. And our movie, if you want us to list what sets it apart… It’s about togetherness, it’s about brotherhood. It’s not about killing each other. It’s not a love story, which is one of the main reasons I wanted to do it. It’s a through and through action film where they don’t waste time going on dates in the woods. 
Will: As Kaya said, the focus is survival and I think the heart of the movie is the idea that humans are innately good. The reaction of these characters to this extreme circumstance is to come together and work as one.

On performing with an American accent:
Kaya: First of all, I think your accents are the most amazing thing ever. I did a film when I was fourteen in an American accent, and I’m not like Will at all where he can just pick it up right away. It was so bad, so embarrassing. And that was good, because from then on, I really wanted to work on it. I made it a personal focus for me. But Will is naturally gifted at doing any accent in the world and it’s amazing.
Will: Not sure that’s true.
Kaya: It’s so true!
Will: The funny thing about being on set with each other is that our cast is roughly 50/50 English/American, and the English half started taking on Americanisms and the American half started taking on “Englishisms.” 


On the most challenging scene they filmed:
Kaya: I liked the days we were all on set with each other, which wasn’t often. We did a weeks worth of film when the Grievers were invading and it was tough, exhausting. There were horseflies everywhere, we were having to run from one side of the glade to the other, we were having to imagine the beasts all the time. 




Check out the rest of the interview at the source!

No comments:

Post a Comment